Eight students earn a spot on All Region Jazz Band
Texas border affairs
McAllen ISD selected eight students as a result of the TMEA Region 15 High School All-Region Jazz Band auditions that took place recently.
These students include:
- Alyx Garza-Johnson, trumpet, McAllen High School
- Angel Trujillo, trumpet, McAllen High School
- Mikey Treviño, trumpet, McAllen High School
- Sebastian Salinas, bass, McAllen High
- Robert Kohler, bass, McAllen Rowe
- Zander Wasielewski, alto saxophone, Memorial High
- Brandon Pena, piano, Memorial High
- Nathaneal Rivera, trumpet, Memorial High
Rivera qualified to compete for a spot in the Texas Music Educators Association’s (TMEA) region-wide jazz group.
In addition, alto saxophone player Rowe Benjamin Guzman was awarded the first substitute status.
“For this competition, only a limited number of students are selected,” said Debra Loya, director of fine arts at McAllen ISD. “These students and their music teachers worked hard to prepare for this audition. Congratulations to these very talented and hardworking musicians.
According to the TMEA website, TMEA sponsors the Texas All-State Auditing Process to promote students’ dedication to their musical knowledge and skills and to encourage educators to support their students in this development. Each fall, more than 70,000 high school students across the state audition in their TMEA region.